Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

DIY Aquarium Canopy

Go down 
+2
Dgolden
Sam_G
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

DIY Aquarium Canopy Empty
PostSubject: DIY Aquarium Canopy   DIY Aquarium Canopy EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 8:31 pm

DIY Aquarium Canopy

This past winter break I undertook the challenge of a DIY Canopy Build. The project was triggered when I discovered that the canopy that came with the used 100 gallon that I bought wasn't tall enough to house my AI Sols in. While the project took FOREVER, the end product turned out really nice. Below is the process of the DIY build (aka: story of my winter break)...

I decided that I wanted to build a canopy that had doors in the front and hinged open on top. I wanted the doors for quick access to the aquarium and the hinge so that I could access the entire tank without having to take off the canopy (this is important since I'm a shrimpy 5'4" girl).

Two builds that inspired the design are below:

http://timbob.com/DIY-Building-a-Canopy-for-a-75-Gallon-Aquarium

- - - - -

The project began by gathering lumber at Home Depot. I bought pine for the foundation, red oak for the skin, and birch for the top. I also picked up a piano hinge, cabinet doors hinges, railing, bolts, etc.

DIY Aquarium Canopy IMG_0151-1

Home Depot cut most of the wood for me, but more exact cuts were made at home (with the gracious help of my brother and dad Smile)

DIY Aquarium Canopy IMG_0153

The first step is to build the frame. Each pine 1 x 2 was first drilled (since pine cracks easily), given a glob of wood glue, and then screwed in place.

DIY Aquarium Canopy IMG_0155-1

DIY Aquarium Canopy IMG_0159

DIY Aquarium Canopy IMG_0161

Next step was to add the skin to the frame, which I used the red oak plywood for.

DIY Aquarium Canopy IMG_0160

Finally, I added the doors and screwed the piano hinge in place. Then I just had to paint it. Everything was first covered in several coats of primer, and then I painted the inside with semi-gloss white and the outside black. Then I covered everything in several coats of polycrylic to help ward off water and salt damage over time.

The final product w/ AI Sols bolted in place:

DIY Aquarium Canopy IMG_0204

DIY Aquarium Canopy IMG_0205

DIY Aquarium Canopy IMG_0207

DIY Aquarium Canopy IMG_0331

DIY Aquarium Canopy IMG_0206

- - - - -

In summary, the project took much longer than I thought and was a lot more challenging than I had initially imagined. anger

However, I had no previous wood working skills and had never used a drill before in my life, so for others this DIY may be much less complicated than it was for me. I am very happy with the turnout and don't regret doing the build. The build saved me a lot of money, allowed complete customization of the canopy, and taught me some valuable lessons. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Aquarium Canopy   DIY Aquarium Canopy EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Wow thats awesome! It looks excellent...

The pic with you there I didn't even realize and then I went OH SNAP ITS A FACE!!!

Totally flipped me out...for a second at least!

How are you controlling the lights themselves, timers or are you using Audrino?
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: DIY Aquarium Canopy   DIY Aquarium Canopy EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 6:50 am

Niceee Smile

Looks very well done. And first canopy too, I cant imagine what that'd be like
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: DIY Aquarium Canopy   DIY Aquarium Canopy EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. Very Happy

@Drew, the LEDs are controlled via the AI Sol controller that came with them. They all link to each other, and then the last fixture links to the controller. The controller isn't exactly user-friendly, but it allows for lots of customization. For instance, currently my LEDs come on at 10am at 1%, and then ramp up to about 65% around noon, it then holds this until around 7pm when the lights start dimming to a "dusk" setting, then they dim down to a "moonlight" setting which they hold until 10pm when they turn off. The LEDs also know the lunar cycle, and adjust intensity accordingly. It's pretty CRAZY! Smile
Back to top Go down
Dgolden

Dgolden

PostSubject: Re: DIY Aquarium Canopy   DIY Aquarium Canopy EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Thats awesome that it came with a controller like that. Did you program it using your computer or was it another way to program it?
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: DIY Aquarium Canopy   DIY Aquarium Canopy EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Dgolden wrote:
Thats awesome that it came with a controller like that. Did you program it using your computer or was it another way to program it?

Yeah. Since I bought the lights used, the controller came with them. If you buy new, you have to buy the controller separately.

And, I actually just programmed the settings on the controller itself. As far as I know, it doesn't hook up to a computer. You just adjust settings with the controller interface.
Back to top Go down
xwesx1978

xwesx1978

PostSubject: Re: DIY Aquarium Canopy   DIY Aquarium Canopy EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:06 am

wow build me one lol , awesome job
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: DIY Aquarium Canopy   DIY Aquarium Canopy EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:13 am

Thanks, Wes! Smile I don't plan on building another for a really long time (possibly never)! Wink
Back to top Go down
Farfromfiji

Farfromfiji

PostSubject: Re: DIY Aquarium Canopy   DIY Aquarium Canopy EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:34 pm

Sam_G wrote:
Thanks, guys! Yeah, I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. Very Happy

You should be, that is a fine bit of craftsmanship and clever design!
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: DIY Aquarium Canopy   DIY Aquarium Canopy EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Farfromfiji wrote:
You should be, that is a fine bit of craftsmanship and clever design!
Why, thank you, sir! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
loganjonathan

loganjonathan

PostSubject: Re: DIY Aquarium Canopy   DIY Aquarium Canopy EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 8:28 pm

ive had to do that before so im with you never again lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Aquarium Canopy   DIY Aquarium Canopy Empty

Back to top Go down

DIY Aquarium Canopy
Page 1 of 1