Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Fish Lit.

Go down 
4 posters

In your opinion, what's the best fish/aquatic creature literature?
Moby Dick
Fish Lit. Vote_lcap0%Fish Lit. Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Jaws
 0% [ 0 ]
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Fish Lit. Vote_lcap50%Fish Lit. Vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
Beast
Fish Lit. Vote_lcap17%Fish Lit. Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Meg
 0% [ 0 ]
Other
Fish Lit. Vote_lcap33%Fish Lit. Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
dawnkrockta

dawnkrockta

Fish Lit. Empty
PostSubject: Fish Lit.   Fish Lit. EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 1:31 pm

I like to read. In your opinion, what are some of the best fish/aquatic creature books out there? Maybe we could start an Aquarist Club reading list.
Back to top Go down
AshleyG

AshleyG

Fish Lit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Lit.   Fish Lit. EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 7:20 pm

I prefer the Jaws movie to the book (I know, that's usually heresy!), but I really did love 20K growing up! Eventually as my brother aged, he too loved it.. and together we would have adventures on the Nautilus (aka.. blanket fort)

Smile

Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

Fish Lit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Lit.   Fish Lit. EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:39 pm

I went with "other" because I had in mind books that maybe aren't "aquatic" literature, but have some aquatics characters/creatures. I'm a fan of the merpeople, grindylows, and inferi in Harry Potter. I also like the merpeople in the Dawn Treader from Narnia (I haven't seen the movie, though). Also, there is a species of semi-aquatic elves in Edith Pattou's Song of Eirren trilogy that are pretty cool - I think they are called ellyls.

I like Moby Dick, though too. I actually haven't read Moby Dick, but I read a sequel to Moby Dick. There's a book called Ahab's Wife that is Moby Dick told from his wife's perspective. Pretty cool book.
Back to top Go down
dawnkrockta

dawnkrockta

Fish Lit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Lit.   Fish Lit. EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 10:40 pm

*whispers* You can vote for more than one.

But yes, Jaws the book was pretty awful when compared to the movie. And also yes, mythical creatures are just as important as non-mythical ones Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

Fish Lit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Lit.   Fish Lit. EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 10:43 pm

dawnkrockta wrote:
*whispers* You can vote for more than one.

It won't let me. Sad Perhaps since I submitted my vote already, I can't vote again...darn.
Back to top Go down
Iceelover

Iceelover

Fish Lit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Lit.   Fish Lit. EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 2:52 pm

I chose "other" because Im really more of a picture book person (call me a terrible student, but I've always hated reading. I think it's because I have mild ADD and it takes me an hour to read half a page)

Personally, I enjoy Ocean by Fabien Cousteau. It's got quite a bit of words, but also a TON of piuctures.

My favorite though, is The Deep, by Claire Nauvian. It's AMAZING!! It's got so many pictureeeesss, and cool ones at that Smile

I've also got some other fish literature that I picked up from being a marine bio major, but most of it is really dry and has like 2 pictures, so I can't say I've actually read them (unless you're my teacher, then yes, I read it and I loved your class)
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

Fish Lit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Lit.   Fish Lit. EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Iceelover wrote:
... so I can't say I've actually read them (unless you're my teacher, then yes, I read it and I loved your class)

Nice! lol

Seriously, though, picture books are the best. Even a textbook can be interesting if written well and if it has some pictures. For instance, my book for Developmental Psychology had really good examples of theories and had adorable pictures of little babies and kids scattered throughout the book. On the other hand, my Motivation book had really small text, prattled on forever, and had few pictures that were all in black and white. Guess which book was better...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fish Lit. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Lit.   Fish Lit. Empty

Back to top Go down

Fish Lit.
Page 1 of 1