Aquarists at USF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for the Aquarist Club at USF - A Community for Fishy People <')))){

PortalPortal  HomeHome  About UsAbout Us  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Register  Log in  

Common LR Hitchhikers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

Common LR Hitchhikers Empty
PostSubject: Common LR Hitchhikers   Common LR Hitchhikers EmptyWed May 18, 2011 4:48 pm

A (Simplified) List of Common LR Hitchhikers

Harmless/Beneficial Reef-Safe Hitchhikers :

Copepods - Type of zooplankton. Eaten by fish/inverts.
Common LR Hitchhikers Copepod04

Amphipods - Type of zooplankton. Eaten by fish/inverts.
Common LR Hitchhikers Amphipod1

Spirorbis - Genus of small polychaete worms.
Common LR Hitchhikers Spirworm01.thumb

Feather Dusters - Type of worm with a crown (radiole) used for filtering small organisms in the water toward its mouth. Crowns come in a variety of colors.
Common LR Hitchhikers Feathersm

Spaghetti Worms - Type of worm with numerous tentacles used for catching food (hence the name "spaghetti").
Common LR Hitchhikers Sworm01.thumb

Peanut Worms - Type of worm that is tubular-shaped.
Common LR Hitchhikers P_noduliferum

Bristleworms - Type of nocturnal worm named for the "bristles" that run along its sides. They range in size from less than 1 inch to over 20 inches in length. *Caution: While bristleworms are mainly considered to be harmless scavengers, at large sizes, they can become aggressive and prey on fish and inverts.
Common LR Hitchhikers Hermodice_carunculata

Mysis Shrimp - Small shrimp-like crustacean. Eaten by fish and inverts.
Common LR Hitchhikers Mysis_shrimp

Stomatellas - Type of small fast-moving slug with a hard shell that protects its head and torso.
Common LR Hitchhikers Medium

Micro Serpent Stars - Type of brittle star. Stays relatively small.
Common LR Hitchhikers IM005958mbrittlestar2

Clear Flatworms - Considered to be "benign" flatworms. However, in excess they can be a problem because when they die, they release toxins that could be harmful to your livestock in large quantities.
Common LR Hitchhikers Clear_flatworm_tb

Pineapple Sponges - Small white or gray sponges that resemble a pineapple in appearance.
Common LR Hitchhikers Scypha_tb

Orange Ball Anemone - A member of the mushroom family that resembles an anemone in its appearance.
Common LR Hitchhikers Upload%5CUP%5CCompetition%5C51023

Harmful/Bad Hitchhikers:

Isopods - Type of zooplankton. Similar in appearance to copepods and amphipods; however, many types of isopods are parasitic.
Common LR Hitchhikers 8495d1284755546-isopod-irritating-polyps-isopodnew

Asterina Stars - Very small white starfish. While not necessarily harmful individually, they can reproduce rapidly in aquariums becoming a pest.
Common LR Hitchhikers 09-06-07_Tiny_white_starfish!!_041

Fireworms - Similar to bristleworms except that the bristles of fireworms sting!
Common LR Hitchhikers Fire%20Worm

Mantis Shrimp - Marine crustacean that resembles both a shrimp and a mantis, but is actually a stomatopod. Very fast and aggressive. Will attack fish and inverts. They make a "popping" and/or "clicking" sound.
Common LR Hitchhikers Mantis_Shrimp

Gorilla Crabs - Type of crab that gets its name because of its a hairy appearance. Has black-tipped claws. Will attack livestock.
Common LR Hitchhikers Db_37_gorillacrab-patsan1

Vermetid Snails - Type of small snail with a hard tube shell that can populate quickly in aquariums. While the worm itself is not harmful, the worm shoots out a web of mucus to catch food, and this web can irritate neighboring corals.
Common LR Hitchhikers Tube

Hydroids - Tiny stinging jellyfish. Hydroids like the ones in picture below are generally not a problem as long as their numbers remain low. However, in large quantities or when in an aquarium with sensitive livestock like seahorses, hydroids are harmful. Other types of colonial hydroids can become a serious nuisance very quickly, though, so be careful.
Common LR Hitchhikers 70677hydroid

Rusty/Orange/Red Flatworms and AEFW - These flatworms can populate very quickly in aquariums and can quickly smother corals. In the case of AEFW, they actually eat the flesh off of Acropora coral species. Additionally, when flatworms die, they release toxins that are potentially deadly to your aquarium inhabitants.
Common LR Hitchhikers Flatworm_city

Zoanthid Spiders - Type of marine spider that eats Zoanthid corals.
Common LR Hitchhikers Main.php?g2_view=core

Aiptasia - Also referred to as "glass anemones." These anemones grow out of hand quickly, and will sting/kill neighboring corals.
Common LR Hitchhikers A_aiptasia_27114V

Majanos - Similar to aiptasia, except that Majano anemones have a short and buff (rather than slim and stalky) appearance. They come in a variety of colors, and can look very attractive, but (like aiptasia) they will sting/kill neighboring corals.
Common LR Hitchhikers Majano.thumb
Back to top Go down
AshleyG

AshleyG

PostSubject: Re: Common LR Hitchhikers   Common LR Hitchhikers EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 3:20 pm

"Type of marine spider...."

AUGGHH stay on land where you belong! WTF
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Common LR Hitchhikers   Common LR Hitchhikers EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 4:00 pm

AshleyG wrote:
"Type of marine spider...."

AUGGHH stay on land where you belong! WTF

+1 lol

I think the thing on my LR in the lower front might be a spaghetti worm!
Back to top Go down
schudini

schudini

PostSubject: Re: Common LR Hitchhikers   Common LR Hitchhikers EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Two things...

Asterina Stars eat zoanthids. Kill them all! (I know from experience).

If anybody finds a mantis that they don't want, I'll take it.
Back to top Go down
schudini

schudini

PostSubject: Re: Common LR Hitchhikers   Common LR Hitchhikers EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Nicholas41 wrote:

Those are great with a little marinara sauce. Just sayin'
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Common LR Hitchhikers   Common LR Hitchhikers EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 4:40 pm

schudini wrote:
Nicholas41 wrote:

That's great! Very Happy

frying
Back to top Go down
mangoman

mangoman

PostSubject: Re: Common LR Hitchhikers   Common LR Hitchhikers EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 4:45 pm

The rusty orange flatworms are also called Planaria or Planularia. Or something like that.. scratch

I've gotten them before in my sump. Apparently they feed off of rotifers and zooplankton. I've never dosed either before but apparently I had some growing in my cheato Smile

I left the light off on my sump for a few days and they went away..
Back to top Go down
Sam_G
Admin
Sam_G

PostSubject: Re: Common LR Hitchhikers   Common LR Hitchhikers EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Feel free to post additional info or other hitchhikers in the thread. That's what it's here for. Smile

schudini wrote:
rofl
Back to top Go down
Nicholas41

Nicholas41

PostSubject: Re: Common LR Hitchhikers   Common LR Hitchhikers EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Sounds delicious! mr. green
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Common LR Hitchhikers   Common LR Hitchhikers Empty

Back to top Go down

Common LR Hitchhikers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aquarists at USF :: Aquarium Discussion Boards :: Identification-
Jump to: